+39 075 8741735

Surroundings

Itineraries Conditions for itineraries:

Marsciano With Tourist Guide:
Urban Trekking Itinerary in Marsciano with a guide (2 hours) + Visit at Pietromarchi Museum, from Thursday to Sunday at 10h30-13am/3h30-6pm (1 hour)
By agreement at least 1 week before

Small villages
With a guide, Compignano and Fornace (2 hours) Guided excursions also to Assisi and Perugia.
For more informations please contact the reception of Il Posto delle More at 075/8741735

Wine and Food itineraries

Wine and Food itineraries
Possibility of agreement with UMBRIA GREEN CARD – electric car rental & Gastronomic Tour (whether or not accompanied by one of their guide) among “zero impact” farms of the territory

Historical, Artistic and Cultural itineraries

Our is a territory where the woods of holm oaks and oaks coexist with the Mediterranean Scrub and with the wise cultivation of vines, olive trees, sunflowers and wheat and where the thousand colors of the seasons spread tranquillity and harmony. Like as many territories of Umbria, also the land of Marsciano in the Middle Tiber Valley has an ancient origin: already in the Etruscan Age it was a crossroad of transit and numerous finds that have been discovered in its territory testify the ancient settlements (San Valentino, Cerqueto, San Biagio della Valle and other locations).

Itinerary 1: Marsciano, Castello delle Forme, Papiano, Cerqueto, Compignano, Montelagello

Marsciano
Marsciano is located in the plain along the Middle Tiber Valley on the banks of the river Nestor.
The historic center is the heart of the city with its narrow streets and the ancient houses whose stones testify its long journey in time. In the center you can still admire the towers and portions of the castle walls, some of which are incorporated in the houses. Some important historical informations: the donation of the castle of Marsciano to Count Bulgarelli by Emperor Ottone II in 975; the submittal to the town of Perugia in 1281 (with the short domination of Braccio Fortebraccio until 1424), revoked by Pope Paolo III Farnese in 1531 who allowed the city to have a municipal statute of autonomy. Since then, Marsciano has remained under the papal dominion until the Unity of Italy proclaimed in 1860.
Looking at the following period, you can admire some buildings of liberty style and the splendid Battaglia Palace, enriched by the decorations of the futurist painter Gerardo Dottori, author of the mural painting that represents the Madonna Col Bambino within the niche subject of recent restoration and visible in Via XIV Maggio. Today, the territory of Marsciano is considered the “territory of bricks” with an important Museum whose headquarters is located right in the center of the city, Palazzo Pietromarchi (XIV century). For a visitor with a trained eye, it will be interesting to stroll through the streets of the historical center guided by the common thread of terracotta, variously used in the ancient and modern architectures of Marsciano.

A. The small industrious villages of Marsciano
Marsciano and its territory fully represent the characteristic traits of the Umbrian landscape: fertile countryside and rolling hills dotted with small villages where the common thread of history unfolds with unusual continuity allowing a varied stratification of cultures and styles. The territory, already inhabited in the Bronze Ages and the Etruscan Epoch, has known the maximum splendour from the Middle Ages, thanks to its central position compared to the powerful cities of Perugia, Todi and Orvieto, and during the Renaissance as evidenced by the important frescoes that adorn the churches of the various towns. They are small open air museums of ancient traditions, witnesses of peasant industriousness.

Papiano
The town of Papiano was built in the XIII century next to a natural source of water, the Fontanino, following the indications of Bevignate, architect engaged in the construction of the Fontana Maggiore in Perugia (1277) and of the church of S. Francis in Gubbio (late 13th century). Today the village appears particularly cared, also as a result of a great restoration work carried out by the municipal administration of Marsciano. Do not miss to visit the Bell Tower (XIII century) located on the highest point of the city. Inside the village there are walls, arches, underground tunnels. A curiosity: the small church of Santa Caterina, miraculously protected during the bombing of 30th April 1944, still preserves 3 unexploded bombs at its exterior.

Cerqueto
The original nucleus of the village dates back to the XII century; the toponym Cerquetum come from the dialectal term Cerqua (oak) or from the latin Circus (circular shape of the castle). The medieval village had in fact three perimeters of defensive walls dating from the same period, you can still admire the medieval cistern. Traditionally known for the manufacture of giujaje, sieves of rushes and brambles, Cerqueto can offer to the visitors an interesting testimony of the Umbrian Renaissance. Some remarkable works are in fact: the San Sebastiano (1478), a mural painted by Perugino, the Crucifixion (1515) by Tiberio d’Assisi in the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, an important contemporary work of art commissioned in 1994 by Fra Michelangelo da Cerqueto (more known as Frate Indovino), the small chapel of the SS. Crocifisso decorated with a mosaic by p. Ugolino from Belluno, author of the Madonna della Salute in Sant’Antonio in Perugia.

Delle Forme Castle
The town rises on a hill that dominates the plain of the Tiber River and has ancient origins: in Vocabolo Campo Filoncia was found an Etruscan tomb. The castle, located in a point of confluence of the most important routes of communication, was famous for the transit of the Mulattieri that went to Rome. Of the ancient castle, the Tower (XIII century) and the medieval walls still remain.

Itinerary 2: Marsciano, Todi

Marsciano
Marsciano is located in the plain along the Middle Tiber Valley on the banks of the river Nestor.
The historic center is the heart of the city with its narrow streets and the ancient houses whose stones testify its long journey in time. In the center you can still admire the towers and portions of the castle walls, some of which are incorporated in the houses. Some important historical informations: the donation of the castle of Marsciano to Count Bulgarelli by Emperor Ottone II in 975; the submittal to the town of Perugia in 1281 (with the short domination of Braccio Fortebraccio until 1424), revoked by Pope Paolo III Farnese in 1531 who allowed the city to have a municipal statute of autonomy. Since then, Marsciano has remained under the papal dominion until the Unity of Italy proclaimed in 1860.
Looking at the following period, you can admire some buildings of liberty style and the splendid Battaglia Palace, enriched by the decorations of the futurist painter Gerardo Dottori, author of the mural painting that represents the Madonna Col Bambino within the niche subject of recent restoration and visible in Via XIV Maggio. Today, the territory of Marsciano is considered the “territory of bricks” with an important Museum whose headquarters is located right in the center of the city, Palazzo Pietromarchi (XIV century). For a visitor with a trained eye, it will be interesting to stroll through the streets of the historical center guided by the common thread of terracotta, variously used in the ancient and modern architectures of Marsciano.

Todi
Another destination of the Middle Tiber Valley is Todi, city known for being the birthplace of the mystic poet of Lauds Jacopone, whose remains are preserved today in the Franciscan church of San Fortunato. The Umbrian-Etruscan origin of the settlement is still visible in some sections of the walls and gates of access to the city. The Roman and Longobard control interchanged until the birth of the Municipality in the XIII century, witnessed by the construction of civil buildings and by the cathedral of the splendid Piazza del Popolo, near which there is also the Franciscan church of San Fortunato. The episcopal palace and the beautiful church of S. Maria della Consolazione, built to protect a niche just outside the village, are still today some precious documents of the local Renaissance, as well as the Teatro della Concordia testifies the artistic activity and the cultural life of Todi in the Nineteenth Century.